Sunday, October 30, 2005

Guest Writer: Elicia Wendling

If Jesus covers us
Then why try so hard
To be anything other than human
Since even that is rough
And he said each day is enough
To worry about at a time

So, if we're forgiven in advance
And it all feels like such improv
The toes we step on in this dance
We can't really be responsible for?

But oh. Oh he calls us to more.
Not because he needs us to relieve his burden
Heh, you aren't THAT Rockstar
But because your brother's feet are weary too
And picking them up day after day can get boring
When you spend them looking at the earth

So, just try not to tread
Hold up your own head
And show them my mantra:
What one man can do;
Another can do.

I 'm a can do gal.
Not because I owe it
(hell, I'm not THAT rich)
But because I believe
I have a graceful neck
Afterall.


- For all of us long necked swans

5 comments:

elisa said...

Elicia I like this.
I have to admit though I get a little lost in the middle.
Is poetry like a joke if you have to explain it, it's not worth telling??

Chickadeeva said...

Maybe....sorry to be obscure.

Chickadeeva said...

Julie - what did this poem speak to you? I know what I meant by it all, but what did you find striking?

Mom2the6Rs said...

What I liked was the way it was spoken...the truth that Paul reminds us of that just because we have been saved it is not a liscense to just live without thought. I like how you made it sound so "now". It brings it home. It made me see it clearer. It challenged me. It made me wonder, too, what prompted it from your own heart and it made me glad that you are thinking on such things...we all need to think on such things.

Jules

Chickadeeva said...

"But oh. Oh he calls us to more." -

This is what Julie refers to - and what Paul said (eat meat, but don't eat it in front of people who can't handle it) the grace of God allows us to not only live, but live in an inspiring way. And, we can avoid some things because it isn't a big deal to us - but a huge deal to the weaker.

"Not because he needs us to relieve his burden"

- By not sinning, we aren't making Christ's crucifiction any easier. We aren't doing God a favor by not adding our own sin.

"But because your brother's feet are weary too
And picking them up day after day can get boring
When you spend them looking at the earth"

- I am so blessed to have a panoramic perspective. My salvation lets me look at the earth, they sky and the universe. But, those bound up in sin or trouble, they have a boring view, and a heavy load already.