Monday, August 08, 2005

May I introduce Miss Charlotte Mason


Are you in need of a refreshing new curriculum for your homeschooling year? Would you like to enhance your public school student's year with a valuable supplement to his/her normal course of study? I am hosting a mini-Charlotte Mason informational meeting in my home Tuesday, August 16th from 2PM -3:30PM. Children are welcome to play in the backyard, all that I ask is that you RSVP using the comment section below or through my email Mom2th5rs@hotmail.com . I am currently following Miss Mason's methods via the AmblesideOnline Free curriculum. I am not selling anything, and have nothing to gain (accept a few friends) from this meeting. I just thought I would share what has worked wonders with my family. Check out the website before you come, if you like. www.amblesideonline.org I will have some printouts for you to take home.

Some key elements to Charlotte's teachings:

Children are not empty slates, but little people with amazing powers of reason and understanding

Narration

Nature Study

Copywork/Dictation

Art Study

Composer Study

Living Books

Handicrafts

Bible

Short lessons with attention to detail

Folksongs/Hymn Study

Ample time to play and explore

7 comments:

Karen said...

You know, if PapaPyro is up to it, I think I would LOVE to come up and hear about it. Ambleside online is free???

Mom2the6Rs said...

Yes, free, free, free!! Papa Pyro ought to like that, eh???

Karen said...

Well, yeah! That's what I'm thinkin'!

Have you found many of the books in the library?

Mom2the6Rs said...

Yes, and most others are available as etexts for free online. Any book published before 1923 has no copywrite. It is in the public domain.

Karen said...

Hey, girl. What about wonderful husbands? Erik would like to come, because we do so much of our schooling together...are you okay with that?

Mom2the6Rs said...

Husbands welcome! They just need to smile at me when I talk and laugh at my jokes like all the ladies do!

Leslie Noelani Laurio said...

Julie, how did your CM meeting go?