Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Could Halloween be a chance to Bless?



Last night, our family and the Vanhoff's went to the Madeleine Villa nursing home in Marysville. There, our darling crew of Roosters, Cows, Parrots, Princesses and mythical warriors greeted and cheered the elderly and the bedridden and the dementia-fied residents. This photo captures the magic of the exchanges, multiple generations being blessed by one another. Many of the residents "forgot" that they had already given the children treats, so the kids received a double portion for their efforts. We met a woman, Katherine, who was celebrating her 98th birthday. What a treat to see her, talk with her, and learn a little of her life. Reese was absolutely mesmerized by each one he saw. I am sure he identified with all of their "strollers". He would "Cock-a-doodle-doo-doo" and lay eggs for them on cue. They lit up when he came near, and he never once backed away from their touch. At one point in the night, Jenny asked me if I had been preparing him in training sessions before we came, training him in cuteness 101. I just smiled, knowing that God has given my little rooster such gifts. For me, it was all about touching as many of the sweet ladies as I could. I would crouch down low, smile at them and touch their hands or their arms. They all looked me in the eye and smiled, saying they were doing well. Touch is so important. I think we all touched them, in multiple ways, even as they did us last night. Yes, Halloween could be considered a holy day...Any day used to love the children of God is a holy day.

2 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

That's awesome Julie. What a superb way to have spent that holiday. I think we need to plan a visit to a retirement home soon. If only I can teach my kids to sing like the VonTropps!

Amy Witt said...

I am going to remember this for next year. I wish I had thought of going to the retirement home for trick or treat. Our church does worship there on SUnday mornings and I may see if I can get our family on the rotation.