Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Have we lost the thrill of cards in the mail forever? My campaign to get them back



Do you remember the thrill and the bliss of opening your mailbox and finding a card from a friend? A handwritten letter, a thank you note, a birthday card that did not have a URL? I do. In fact, I remember spending my hard earned cash on a box of books from Current magazine and distributing them freely and frequently to girlfriends and grandmothers, the sick and the celebratory. It was a small passion of mine. Now I email someone this cute emoticon or this witty photo and caption. I have loved ones signed up at birthday alarm so that I can email them a card that they have to link to...It saves on postage, and is usually free, but where is the romance, people???? I am starting a campaign within my own life to start sending out the snail mail again. I am going to do it...If I need to follow a 12 step program, I am going to do it!! Now if I can only find my address book...hmmm. Maybe they are all on file somewhere on my C drive.

9 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

I'm a big fan of snail mail. Lynn Skalsky and I correspond that way and I love the joy of getting a hand-written letter. I will join you in your crusade :-)

Mom2the6Rs said...

Cool! Let's support the United States Postal Service...they must be hating all this email stuff.

Jules

Bickler3 said...

Did Blake get a job with the Post office and I didnt get the email about it?? Hee Hee Its a great idea...now that my old man is a working man again...I can join in too! Heck manybe I should start by sending everyone a card to let them know how excited I am !! YYIIPPEE....Ok so it will have to wait till he gets a check in 2 weeks.....but its the thought right?!

Kristina said...

Awesome possum! I love to write and recieve mail too. I've been weekly writing my sister Sonja who is in teen challenge. But I'd LOVE to get a card or two from some of my friends. I promise to respond if you write to me. Perhaps I should just get the ball rolling myself. :0)

Chickadeeva said...

here's my address: 15049 SE 113th Street - Renton, WA 98059.

If you write me I'll write back!

Elicia

elisa said...

Uuuuh, but, but. what about spell checker??
:)
Hey, did anyone get an updated mailing list from Fourth of July party?

Chickadeeva said...

Nope, not me...there was a list going around though, I seem to recall.

Mom2the6Rs said...

I don't know who was in charge of the list. Maybe MamaK...

Bickler3 said...

Ohh Lis,
they make a tingy called a dictionary. It is how the dinasauers did spell check or you can all have fun doing it the fenitical way that might put some fun into it "what the heck did she jusst spell ???"

J