Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Pushing Limits


Today, I felt like I was pushing limits. I pushed every limit I could. This limit pushing did not come as a desire, but out of necessity, or at least the perception of necessity. First of all, I had to get Riley to school by 9 AM. We arrived at 9:18. Then I helped a lady stuck on the side of the road, pushing the limit of kindness and risk. I chose wisely and it was a blessing on both ends.

Blake was supposed to leave for work at about 11:15 this morning, I arrived home at 10:58...Again, pushing the limits, but not exceeding. Felt good. Next, I am found pushing the limits of a friendship by asking Ruthie if she would be willing to pick Riley up from school for a play date with Ez. This would allow me to visit a friend who just had her first baby and bring her food. That limit, pushed upon a dear friend, proved not too frail, and all were happy.(especially the boys)

Now for more limits. Are you still with me? Warning, they might be limitless...Ha, ha...Okay, the next limit pushed was the limit of my sister's patience as she waited for me and 4 of my children to show up at Belle Square for a Build a Bear party. Aidan had pushed the limit of his fourth year of life into the fifth year today. Happy big 5, my little guy! I was hoping to get to BAB around 12:30, but alas...It was more like 12:49ish. Then I put a limit on myself...To make it to Sarah's in time with dinner, I would need to leave the mall by 3:30, 3:45 tops..Right? Well, another limit came and went as I pulled out of the stuffed concrete garage at 4:12. "Snap!" (My kids' swear word of choice.)

As we are piling into the van, I realize that I have pushed the limit of my gas tank to fumes...Have you ever tried to find a gas station in downtown Bellevue? They don't exist. I found one, finally, and we were on our way. Now, I must tell you, the limit I was most hoping to push, even break if possible, was the speed limit. But, it being after 4 pm, as soon as I hit certain spots on the marvelous, rightly underrated 405, not only was I unable to do such illegalities, but I was creeping along with all the other limit pushers.

Making it to Sarah's, after a brief stop at Panda's for the family feast (a great deal at $25, BTW), and a stop at Fred Meyers for Peach Oatmeal(nursing mother's request...Go figure), I was forced to push yet another limit....Well several all at once. Ok...I have to be in Marysville to LEAD my JV group in AWANA club at 6:30 while first driving to Lake Stevens to pick up Riley and Ez. It was now 5:40 and I haven't even held that baby yet...Or taken a picture....Better push it, better linger a bit longer. Give this new mother the gift of googling over her prize possession...Okay, now all the kids want to held said baby.

Well, I am sure by now you know what is coming...I left Sarah's at 6:04, got to Ruthie's at 6:32 and then to AWANAs at 7:09. The limit I am thankful that I did not push was the limit of my AWANA commander. I thought that I might be fired on the spot, but she was all smiles in her cute new hairdo and very forgiving.

And now that I have pushed all my avid reader's limits by the shear length of this post. I will sign off...I am, after all, at my limit. As an aside, I remember learning in Mr. Davina's Algebra class that a limit was + or - 3 (ex. the limit of 9 is 6 or 12)...I should never have learned this. I am always living life on the edge, expecting this mathematical field of grace to overshadow all that I do. I guess, in some respects, it has made me a little more flexible when it comes to other's who push my personal limits...If for only that reason, I will now thank God for this limit pushing thing and regard it as a blessing instead of a curse. Although I don't think it is kind on my blood pressure.

10 comments:

Kristina said...

OHHHH, I get so grumpy when I am behind! And to push yourself like this, and to be behind ALL day. What a nightmare. If this would have been me Jules, I would have surely turned into the Hulk at least three times over in this single day.

Chickadeeva said...

You had an astoundingly busy day. You do more in one day of your limit pushing than I do in one week. I think I freak out when I don't have time to do everything as I'd like in a PACE I like. Good for you!

Karen said...

Wow...I agree...I hate days like that! I feel so stressed, and the Hulk would be more "present" than I.

As an aside, I once was in the exact same situation...I was in Bellevue, leaving, late, and out of gas...and after driving ALL OVER BELLEVUE, I finally found a gas station way outside of town. How is it possible that there are none in town!? It's Bellevue, for goodness' sake! Don't they need to gas up their Beemer's somewhere?

Bickler3 said...

In Bellevue they have someone who can do that for them....!! I would have been a basket case.....I can't handle being late.....I feel like I am stealing time from the people who are waiting for me and time is a precious commodity that we often have way to little of!!
But part of your charm is how graceful you are Julie...so in turn when you push limits people can grant you grace easily ....I am glad that you survied another crazy day in the life of a mom.....

Jimmy Lee said...

WOW I dont even know how to repond to that or what to say !!!!

elisa said...

Wow, what a day!
What perspective!
Hope you and the kids don't mind but I might try borrowing your "snappy" swear word!

Jenny V said...

Jules- you call that limit pushing I call it flunking like crazy! I think I like your "label" better. Truly it is amazing what you managed to accomplish and the sheer number of people you had an infulence on in just one day! Note that you didn't push limits getting your nails done, getting to your massage appointment or having coffee with a friend! You are a blessing to all those you contact- Even if you contact them 20 minutes later than you thought your would!
Love you-
Jenny

Mom2the6Rs said...

Thanks everyone...you have filled up my love tank with your praise. I do feel like I am "flunking" more often than not, but I also have a faith in my own abilit to get to all these tasks without burning out. On the days I succeed, I am on top of the world, but on the days that I let everyone down in my path...I look for the deepest hole to bury my meager self in. Sincere appologies to all of you who have been victims of my limit pushing in the past. Look out to all those who will succumb to it in the future. I will do my best, but I have a scary track record.

Jules

Jimmy Lee said...

I have a blond bimbo here that will wash all your woos away with her stinky tounge anytime you need to be loved by another !!!

Mom2the6Rs said...

Thanks, Rick. I am honored you wished it would never end...that is the ultimate complement for a writer to receive. But believe me, I was so glad when that day ended, but I know it won't be my last limit pushing experience. I am prone to several a week, I am afraid.

Jules